Tuesday, February 5, 2008

2 Timothy 1:11-14

2 Timothy 1:11-14
1:11 For this gospel I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher. 1:12 Because of this, in fact, I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, because I know the one in whom my faith is set and I am convinced that he is able to protect what has been entrusted to me until that day. 1:13 Hold to the standard of sound words that you heard from me and do so with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 1:14 Protect that good thing entrusted to you, through the Holy Spirit who lives within us.


Notes:
1. Paul was appointed an apostle and teacher FOR the gospel... He was appointed to protect it and keep it and teach it, and keep it pure and Holy. We need to take a stand for the truth of the Gospel, for the Truth of the Bible, we need to protect and defend it. We need to do our research and be ready to give a defense for our faith, and our faith in the Bible and it’s veracity. God may not have appointed each of us as a teacher or an apostle, but he has entrusted each of us with His word. Lord, fill me with knowledge of your word, teach it to me, help me to know how to prove its veracity. Make me a protector of your word, at least to those around me. In Jesus’ name, amen.

2. Because of that, Paul suffered... We need to expect to suffer for the gospel.

3. Paul was not ashamed, even though he would suffer, why? Because he know THE ONE in whom his faith was set, and was convinced that GOD was able to protect what GOD had entrusted to Paul until the end... and He has! God has protected His word, it’s one of the most well-preserved and documented texts in the history of the world. We need to trust that God is not going to let Christianity fall by the wayside and let his word be trampled down.

4. Hold to the standard of sound words... with faith and love that are in Christ. We, as Christians know the truth, we need to hold fast to it, and not be swayed by new doctrines or new ideas or new info about the bible, etc... And we need to do that with Faith in God and love towards others, not be harsh, or defensive, but trusting that God is in control, and we don’t need to defend him, we need to hold fast and teach the truth in Love.

5. Protect that good thing entrusted... through the Spirit. Through the spirit of God, we need to protect what God has entrusted us with. His message, His hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment