Thursday, January 31, 2008

2 Timothy 1:3-8

Study:

2 Timothy 1:3-8 (NET)

1:3 I am thankful to God, whom I have served with a clear conscience as my ancestors did, when I remember you in my prayers as I do constantly night and day. 1:4 As I remember your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. 1:5 I recall your sincere faith that was alive first in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice, and I am sure is in you.

1:6 Because of this I remind you to rekindle God’s gift that you possess through the laying on of my hands. 1:7 For God did not give us a Spirit of fear but of power and love and self-control. 1:8 So do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord or of me, a prisoner for his sake, but by God’s power accept your share of suffering for the gospel.


Notes:
1. Paul remembered Timothy in his prayers constantly... night and day. Paul was a man of prayer, he took time for it, he made it a priority. He also seemed to put a lot of focus on others in his prayers. Night and day he prayed for others and spent time with the Lord in prayer. I want to be like that. Lord, help me to make prayer a priority in my life.

2. Paul longed to see Timothy, he cared for him, remembering his tears, which seems to be a personal note, and I’m not sure what that refers to. But, Paul was a relational man. He had deep meaningful relationships with people, and here paul says that he would be filled with joy to see Timothy. He also was not afraid to call people out... he held Timothy, his dear friend, accountable to stirring up his gift, and not being fearful or timid, but powerful and full of love, and not ashamed of the Gospel. This is definitely something I need to work on, is my willingness to call people out. Help me in this Lord, as much as I hate asking that, because I’m sure you will give me an opportunity to do that now... :-)

3. Paul calls Timothy to account “Because of this”, because of what? Because of his sincere faith... He’s saying, “Timothy, I know you have a sincere faith, because of that, I encourage you to live it, remember the gift you have, remember the power of the spirit, and be bold!” He’s saying, “I know you want to follow Christ, I know that’s where your heart is, You desire His glory and kingdom. Because of that, I want to remind you...” A good way to start a confrontation with a brother, remind them first that you know they desire to follow Christ, and that they have a good heart there, then remind them about the thing you need to confront them on.

4. What does Paul remind Timothy? To rekindle the gift given him, to not be timid and fearful, but be full of power and love and self-control, which are not our possessions, but are given us by the Spirit. He says to not be ashamed of the testimony about Christ or Paul, but by God’s power to accept the sufferings that may come his way by doing the right thing and by being bold in his faith. This is a lesson I really need to learn in my heart. I get so scared of what people will think. I don’t live with the knowledge of the Spirit’s power living in me... I forget that He lives inside, and gives me power, love and self-control when I need them... Help me with this, Lord.

5. How do these three things apply to being bold in the gospel? Power: Being bold and stating the truth, letting the Spirit speak through you and convict the person. Love: an understanding and non-judgmental heart, kindness and love even when they disagree or harm or threaten to harm you. Self-Control: not getting angry, not responding violently, not speaking out of your own ideas, but letting the Spirit speak.

1 comment:

  1. good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh KING JESUS BE BLESS

    ReplyDelete